Subscribe to Growing for Market for more great ideas about growing and marketing!
For more topics in the series, click on Market Farming Basics in the left column.
Hoophouse and Quick Hoops™ crops
With an unheated hoophouse or Quick Hoops™ covered with greenhouse poly, you can have fresh produce to sell until Thanksgiving and beyond. Choose vegetables that are cold-tolerant, and remember to add about 14 days to the days to maturity printed in the catalog to account for slower growth as the days get shorter. Here are our picks for sweet, crisp, fall and winter vegetables.
- Broccoli - Arcadia and Marathon
- Cabbage - Alcosa, Gonzales, and Farao
- Carrots - Napoli
- Cauliflower - Cassius and Amazing
- Greens - Sylvetta arugula, Hon Tsai Tai, Kyona Mizuna, Yukina Savoy, Pac Choi, Mache, Cress, Claytonia, Mustard Greens
- Kale and Collards
- Lettuce and Greens mix
- Micro Mix
- Spinach - Space and Regiment
- Swiss chard
Reprinted from JSS Advantage September 2010